Monday, September 14, 2009

And the Beat Goes On...

Well, well, well, say how-do to real life as a writer! I've spent the last few days engrossed in a massive overhaul of a story that missed the mark for an anthology I submitted it to. It wasn't rejected, per se, which feels nice...I can't count the number of times I've had to do rewrites for things like my thesis, so this seems pretty normal. However, normal does not always mean something's easy! When I say overhaul, I mean it's like building a car from a kit and having to rip out the engine and exhaust system and replace it. Ouch. Far from simple or painless.

I have to laugh, because it's that whole "be careful what you wish for" thing that everyone warns you about. Now that this is becoming a viable career and way of life for me, there continues to be actual work involved. That's the funny part about dreams--they're all glowy and shiny before they become real because it's all a fantasy, but when they come true, no matter how happy you are, you gotta work at it. Fortunately, I don't mind hard work much.

For you writers out there, I highly recommend reading "The Writer's Journey," by Christopher Vogler. Although it's geared toward structuring story using mythic structure, it also reflects the path a writer takes along the way. I had an intellectual understanding of that, you know, the sort where you rub your chin a little and say, "Oh, yes, I can totally see how that might occur in one's evolution as a writer," but you don't really get it. Yeah. As my own story unfolds, I can see that this is the time for me to gain allies, face tests, and conquer the demons blocking my way to success. Like having someone say "maybe" instead of "yes," and what will you or won't you do to change it to the latter? Am I a hack or an artist? Who knows? I suppose I'll find out in the process. I'm in the Second Act now, and it's up to me to keep the pace up and prevent the story from lagging. That's a very real danger, once you achieve a little success and/or hit a major roadblock--the Second Act Swamp.

I trained for years to become a counselor, even though I've left off following that path, and I could tell you so many ways for a person to keep from losing sight of a goal, keep from veering off-course, and keep motivation high. But as they always say in writing, show, don't tell, what's happening in your story. And I think that's great advice, no matter where it's applied, as my own beat goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment