Thursday, May 7, 2009

I love it when a plan comes together

No, I'm not part of the A-Team, but I still do love it when I get the "a-ha!" moment. Today I woke up and lay in bed for a while, trying to find a way to tap into the hidden strength that all humans have...wait, no, that's the Hulk, sorry! I was trying to use that half-awake, half-asleep state to juice up my creative thinking and solve a plot problem that's been plaguing me for a long time, now. No luck.

So I go into the bathroom and start brushing my teeth, absent-mindedly, and it hits me like a thunderbolt what I could do...and you know, it solves multiple problems! It sort of made me laugh, because I thought I had this whole "creative idea" generation thing figured out. At first, I got ideas in the shower. Cool, right? But not every problem gets solved this way, only sometimes. Then it was driving. Next, doing dishes and zoning out worked. Recently, it was lying in bed half-awake. Now, all of a sudden, it's brushing my teeth. Just when I think I KNOW what will make those pesky little ideas pop into awareness, something comes at me out of left field and the method changes. I'm happy it works, however it works, but I sort of feel it's about as controllable as casting runes to predict the future, reading entrails, or playing the lottery. Maybe the right brain doesn't work like I'd like it to, all linear and predictable-like. Although I'm not totally comfortable with it yet, I've made an uneasy peace with the fact that creativity doesn't just sit, heel, and shake paw when you want it to. It's a lot like herding cats, really :)

But that's okay, really. I pity the fool who messes with me...and my messed-up process (yeah, that's bad, but gimme a break here, people, I'm a WRITER for chrissakes)!

No comments:

Post a Comment